Smooth Directory is a simple way to add a business directory to a WordPress site. The public view of the directory is a simple, responsive two-column view, while the WP admin is extremely easy to use.
The plugin is ready to start using right out of the box by navigating to /businesses and is easily extendable by developers by overwriting the two public facing templates and styles.
The directory comes with built-in pagination, category filtering and alphabet filtering.
There are quite a few WordPress directory plugins, but if you’re looking for a responsive, easy to get going (and easy for clients to manage) business directory plugin, Smooth Directory will work great for you!
- Customizable colors
- Easily extendable
- Ability to add categories
- Category filtering
- Alphabet filtering
- Uses custom post types and metadata, which makes creating your own theme very straightforward
- Allows the display of a business name, contact, location, address, phone, website, email, description and image
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How can I modify the templates?
There are two templates that you can overwrite:
archive-businesses.php(the main directory template) and
taxonomy-business_category.php(the template shown when a category is selected). The best way to do this is to copy those two files from the plugin (located at
smooth-directory/public/) to the root directory in your theme and then modifying them from there.
- Can I have multiple directories?
No. Currently, only one directory with the slug
Contributors & Developers
“Smooth Directory” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Smooth Directory” has been translated into 7 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Smooth Directory” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Add single page template
- Add hyperlinks for website
- Use featured image instead of meta value
- Add screenshots
- Initial release