I could not find an easy plugin that enabled me to use a shortcode that would enable me to publish a list of child pages under a parent page. So, I built one.
Example 1: Order the child pages by publish date in descending order:
[listchildpages aclass=”” ifempty=”No child pages” orderby=”publish_date” order=”desc” displayimage=”no”]<h3>Here are our child pages:</h3>[/listchildpages]
Example 2: Order the child pages by title in ascending order with the page’s featured image aligned left:
[listchildpages aclass=”” ifempty=”No child pages” orderby=”title” order=”asc” displayimage=”YES” align=”alignleft”]<h3>Here are our child pages:</h3>[/listchildpages]
The shortcode accepts all of the Order and Orderby Parameters listed within the WordPress class reference.
Built by DK New Media, visit the MarTech to keep up on this plugin and other marketing tools to help you grow your online presence!
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How can I add a description for each child page?
Edit the child page and you’ll find an excerpt section where you can enter a description that will be published on the list.
- How can I enable featured images on my site?
Within your functions.php file, look for the add_theme_support post-thumbnails line and add page to the array. Or if you don’t have that line, you can just add it:
add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails', array( 'post', 'page' ) );
- How can I modify the output?
There are additional class fields for the unordered list tag (ulclass), list item tag (liclass), and the anchor tag (aclass). You can modify the output utilizing your theme’s CSS.
Contributors & Developers
“List Child Pages Shortcode” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “List Child Pages Shortcode” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Tested in latest versions of WordPress
- Added an option to display the featured image for the page.
- Added class outputs for the ul and li tags in addition to the anchor text.
- Corrected an undeclared variable error.
- Added documentation on where you can see all of the order and orderby parameters.
- Added another shortcode option for the order. Default is DESC.
- Added another shortcode option for the orderby. Default is publish_date.
- Initial Release