Inspired by Hello Dolly, this plugin works as a reminder of which constellation/star is visible for the current month.
It shows information about the 88 officially recognized constellations by the International Astronomical Union (IAU).
If a constellation has one of the 28 brightest stars, the line shown is designated with an ‘*’.
It is a nice reminder for astronomy amateur developers like myself who wants to be reminded of the constellations and stars that are most visible in a given month.
You can view Nasa’s Picture of the Day, control the color of text and background in the ‘Hello Star’ settings page under “Settings” menu.
I am using NASA API demo_key for retrieving the daily Picture of the Day (apod) image. The demo key has a very low rate limits, if you want to keep apod, I recommend you get your own API key as described here:
For suggestions to make this plugin any better, you can find me on twitter at (http://twitter.com/sarahphp1).
* Most of the information used in this plugin were taken from Chris Dolan’s website: http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/
* and Wikipedia.
* Picture of the Day: Nasa apod API: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
- Go to the ‘Add New’ plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Search for ‘Hello Star’
- Click ‘Install Now’ and activate the plugin
- OR: Clone the plugin from my github repo at: https://github.com/Sarahphp1/hello-star
- Use the Settings->Hello Star screen to change color of text and background
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Hello Star” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Hello Star” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Initial release